Thursday, April 22, 2010

Tricks for not appearing lazy whilst swimming...

I went swimming today at the Y, and I think I swam about half a mile. I didn't keep an exact count of my laps, but I know I swam at least 16 laps, and the lifeguard confirmed that a half mile was 18 laps. So I was somewhere around there.

Now I'm home, freshly showered, and exhausted. Swimming is something that I really enjoy, but it is an activity that is energy draining. I swam 10 laps freestyle without stopping, and then I did a little trick I like to call the goggle check.

The goggle check is a way to catch your breath in between laps without looking lazy. Instead of stopping at the end of my lap and just hanging out by the edge of the pool. I take off my goggles and attempt to "adjust" them. Sometimes I even take it a step further and pretend like they leaked mid-lap, and I really need to fix them before I begin again. Ha! My goggles don't leak. They are made by TYR, cost $15, and I purchased them at Midwest Mountaineering. Believe me, they are top notch.

And yet, I continue this charade in my attempts to fool anyone who may be observing that I need anything but a break. After a well timed goggle check, I finished up with some more laps consisting of backstroke and breaststroke before heading out. I felt a lot better swimming this time around, and hope my comfortableness level continues to increase.

No comments:

Post a Comment