Friday, April 2, 2010

First Timed Run

I ran another lap (5k) around Lake Calhoun tonight, and for the first time I actually paid attention to my starting and stopping time. I made it around again without walking, although I must confess, it was harder to do on my own and with the 25 mph wind gusts. My time per mile was what I expected: 10 minutes. I'm not sure how to decrease that time, other than running faster. My hope is that the more I run, the better my time will become. I will have to read some books about this.

I don't think I have explicitly stated my goals on here for my first triathlon, but they are as follows:
1. finish the race
2. don't be last

Although I am far from swimming, biking, and running a complete course, I looked up last year's race times to get a general idea of where I need to be in 142 days. The top woman finished in 1:08 and the last place woman finished in 2:51. I would love to finish right around the 1:30 mark, but unless I buy a new bicycle, I don't think that's happening. Some time under 2:00 is realistic. More about getting psyched out about expensive triathlon gear that "makes you faster" later.

And on a final note, I haven't exercised this much in a week since high school - and that was because we had gym class daily....

No comments:

Post a Comment