Sunday, April 11, 2010

Recovering via Yoga

You know what makes the thought of running 3 miles sound even worse than normal? The thought of running 3 miles after spending the previous night on a party bus....

So yesterday, when I eventually woke up around noon, I decided to forgo running in favor of a 90 minute yoga sesh at Core Power. Initially my plan had been to run before yoga, but I justified my laziness by taking into account the amount of dancing I had done the night before.

Plus, keeping your balance on a pimped out school bus (painted bright pink and called the "Busweiser") that's going 60 mph on the highway out to Minnetonka is a really good core workout.

I thought yoga would provide some detox in addition to exercise, and it was that and so much more. First of all, I'm mildly obsessed with Core Power, but I have neither the commitment nor the capital necessary to purchase a real membership. So I stick to going on days when they have their free classes. Secondly, for some bizarre reason, practicing yoga in a 90 degree studio always feels good. Even on hangover days. This is coming from a former lifeguard who frequently fainted/passed out, off her stand, during the summer heat. No, that's not a joke.

I drank two Nalgenes of water in under 90 minutes and felt like a normal person by the time class was over. This week, I am forcing myself to shape up and buy a Y membership. I'm hoping the yoga classes at the Y will be just as good as Core Power, but something tells me not to get my hopes up.

No comments:

Post a Comment