Monday, April 19, 2010

Kickass Bike Ride!

So today, I found myself making excuses for not wanting to work out. I was worried about school work, I was tired, I was hungry, etc. Then I mentally slapped myself, put on my sports bra and took Golden Eagle Jr. out for a spin. I made one rule for myself today: no coasting.

Typically, I have biked for leisure or to commute. Well my friends, welcome to a new era. You will stand and applaud after reading this story.

I decided to tackle the Chain of the Lakes route and made my way towards Lake Harriet. Halfway around, I was fast approaching a man on a decked out super pricey looking road bike, complete in matching gear, clipped in shoes, etc. Hmm, I decide, I wonder if I can match his pace.

OH AND I DID AND MORE! I smoked him going up a hill and then did. not. quit. Golden Eagle Jr. was so on top of it, and I silently took back any thoughts I had of buying a new bicycle. Finally, I arrived at the intersection where the trail crosses to meet Lake Calhoun, and as I sat at the stop light waiting for the green, my defeated bicycle friend pulled up beside me.

"Nice pace," he said.

"I know," I replied.

"This is the first time I've been out this year," he said, trying to make himself feel better after getting smoked by a girl on a hybrid bicycle with a pannier rack.

"You should really get out more," I said, silently gearing up to race out of the stop light. I could see old people approaching, and I didn't want to get stuck behind their wrinkly old butts on the bike path.

"Yeah, you know work gets in..." he began and then his words fell to the wayside as I took off into the sunset, not really caring to hear excuses.

The rest of my bike ride was equally awesome. The lakes looked beautiful at night, and I was really happy I forced myself to get out there and ride. I won't be working out at all tomorrow because I'm going to the Twins game after school! What up Target Field?!

1 comment:

  1. You're the best blogger! You have to let me and Calhoun know the next time you're going to be riding us!

    ReplyDelete