Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Rainstorm!

I rode my bicycle home in a complete downpour today. I'm talking all out thunder, lightning, and rain the entire 7 miles. At one point, I was crossing the Stone Arch Bridge when lightning lit up the sky, and I could see clearly (maybe a little too clearly) how fast the water was rushing below.

I usually hate the rain on all occasions, and that is because it's always raining when I need to reach a destination for an event. Example, riding my bike to meet someone for happy hour and it starts raining. Then I show up with crazy hair, generally feeling angry at the world. However, on rare occasions when the only place I am riding is home, I LOVE the rain. I think bicycling in the rain is exciting. I roar through as many puddles as possible, relish in being soaked down to my underwear, and generally just enjoy the overall experience. Tonight's experience was topped off by the fact that I had the foresight to bring my new Cannondale jacket, purchased from the REI Outlet and it was AWESOME. It kept my upper half completely dry and protected from the wind. My arms did feel a little warm, but I think that had a lot to do with the fact that I was wearing a tank top and my bare skin was sweating against the fabric.

I was supposed to run 37 minutes today as part of training. After that ride, I quickly changed (it was 9:15 and my gym closes at 10), drove to the gym in the storm, and ran for eh, 20 minutes before I said eff this I'm tired. I only feel sorta bad for skimping on the run because I did so much bicycling today. But I'm justifying my laziness, which needs to stop immediately. As much as I thought I had fixed my mental block about running, it is still the activity that I dread the most out of the three.

No comments:

Post a Comment