Wednesday, May 19, 2010

First Official Day of Training

It begins today: Week 1, Day 1, of the 12 week training program I am following to prepare for the triathlon. I'm really excited to begin a strict training regiment, because I think it will provide structure to what has been a very unstructured work out routine.

I swam laps today and did the following work out:
4 x 50 warm up
6 x 75 workout
6 x 25 cool down

Swimming felt great! I was able to keep a nice pace and finished the workout in about the twenty minute time span that the book indicated. My arms are a little sore, but I think that will wear off by tomorrow.

And best of all, I managed to get to the pool at a time when there weren't a lot of other lap swimmers, and I got my own lane! I know, I know, I should be prepared for swimming in a group seeing as how I will be swimming en mass in Lake Phalen during the triathlon, but I'm just not ready for human contact yet. When I am swimming and someone brushes against my arm, I tend to use my former lifeguarding skills to knock them unconscious in an effort to survive. Nevermind that we're in a lap lane no deeper than 12 feet, I'm fighting for my life here people! So as you can imagine, its better for everyone when I get my own lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment