Monday, March 15, 2010

Exercising on Vacation

Spring break was last week - hence the lack of posting - and for the first time, I attempted to work out during vacation.

Typically, vacation for me entails eating lots of food (best way to learn about a new city!), drinking with friends (and making new ones in the bar), and eating fast food in the airport. This time around, I packed up my tennis shoes and headed to Seattle for a yearly reunion with some of my best friends.

I decided I would get some exercise the morning before my flight by cycling to work. The trip is 5 miles each way, and it is by no means grueling, but hey! I'm trying here, people. Unfortunately for me, I have a horrible habit of leaving my apartment without looking out the window first, and this morning I was greeted with rain as I wheeled my bike on to the street. The ride got me ready for the weather in Seattle.

Vacation started that evening, and I hydrated well by choosing two delicious Malbecs for dinner and even ordering a side salad rather than another plate of gnocci! For the next two days I got my exercise by walking all over Seattle from places like Pike Place to the Space Needle to the dressing rooms of Nordstroms. Further exercise occurred at night in the form of dancing, sprinting to cabs, and eating hot dogs with cream cheese (a late night delicacy in Seattle apparently). Then we were lucky enough to head up to the San Juan Islands for the weekend on a friend's boat where I went running. In my efforts to maintain my vacation feeling, I went running without a watch and with no idea of where I was going. In my head I think I ran for 40 minutes, but in reality it was probably 30 minutes or so. The good news is that for one of the first times in my life, I looked forward to running, and I kept a steady pace. Now I'm back in the midwest and planning on a run tonight. I'm looking forward to flat surfaces and no rain!






Roche Harbor, San Juan Island, Washington. A wonderful place for an afternoon run. This picture was taken by Nicole, and I stole it from her with the idea that as long as I gave her credit she wouldn't sue me. Thanks, Nic!

No comments:

Post a Comment